• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GS007

GS007

GSR Technical Editor

• GSR Lifetime
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

The video was taken last August at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit near Tulsa, OK. The event is called "High Speed Touring" (HST), which is basically an open track session to go out and have fun. Unlike the schools I teach at where a point-by is required before you pass somebody, HST is a free-for-all, the only rules being no bumping or passing in corners.

My friend and I are playing follow the leader. Towards the end of the video he'll go past me and I'll follow him for a lap or so. You'll also notice towards the end where my tires have given up and I do a little powerslide at ~90mph :blink:

Here's the link:
http://video.google....312603304594356
Jim Mason
GSR Lifetime Member
'96 Grand Sport #007
A few mods

#2 GS919

GS919

Super User

• GSR Lifetime
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

:cheers: Very cool, Jim. Thanks for sharing! :blink:
Paul Martens \\ #919
MN

Posted Image

#3 JASON

JASON

Grand Sport Guru!

• GSR Lifetime
  • 3,193 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

:blink:

#4 HUTCH

HUTCH

GSR Skunkmaster

• Admin
  • 4,698 posts
  • Interests:Grand Sport Corvettes, of course!

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

Wow, that was awesome, Jim. Very smooooth! Thanks! :blink:

hutchsig-new.jpg
John 'Hutch' Hutchinson
Grand Sport Registry Skunkmaster
1996 GS #707 Convertible, red interior & removable hardtop
2010 GS Jet Stream Blue Supercharged Convertible
GSR, NCMFS, NCCC, CFCA, and NCM Lifetime #597

#5 GS204

GS204

Junior User

• GSR Member 2008
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:GSR MEMBER 2008

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

Very good footage. Very nice to look out across the hood and see a white stripe!

Jim. Couple of questions.
1. I notice you do not shift alot. Were you using 4th most of the track?
2. Is there an option on your video to mute Bono and the boys, and just listen to the LT4?
3. What kind of mods have you done to yours.

Mash #837

#6 GS007

GS007

GSR Technical Editor

• GSR Lifetime
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:22 AM

Very good footage. Very nice to look out across the hood and see a white stripe!

Jim. Couple of questions.
1. I notice you do not shift alot. Were you using 4th most of the track?
2. Is there an option on your video to mute Bono and the boys, and just listen to the LT4?
3. What kind of mods have you done to yours.

Mash #837

Yep, I was using 4th on most of the track. At the time I had 4.10 gears, so that certainly helped. There were two other reasons as well....1) Since we were playing "follow the leader", after I went thru the traffic I needed to wait for my friend to do the same and 2) It was really hot that day (100*+) and I was taking whatever opportunity I could to go easy on the engine a bit.

Sorry, no way to turn off U2 on that particular clip. I didn't keep the raw digital footage. Over the next few weeks, I plan to post a few others and I'll leave the music off. FWIW, the Gateway clip is music free.

Mods...
Pocket porting of the cylinder heads
ported intake manifold
Corsa exhaust
GM 845 cam
4.10 gears (just pulled them out and replaced them with the stock gear set)
shorty headers (helps underhood heat)
52mm throttle body
Earl's 25 row oil cooler (250* oil temps versus 300*+ :blink: )
brake cooling ducts
Global West Del-A-Lum suspension bushings (front a-arms)
Energy Suspension poly bushing for both sway bars and rear camber rods
Meziere electric water pump
Custom tuning (by me)
Hoosier R3S04 tires
Koni adjustable shocks

I added the DRM brake bias spring this winter, so I'm anxious to see how that flattens the car out during braking.

Something that would really help me would be '89/'90 Z51 springs and sway bars versus the base '96 springs and bars on there now. I've been reluctant to give up ride quality since I still drive the car on the street on occasion.
Jim Mason
GSR Lifetime Member
'96 Grand Sport #007
A few mods

#7 GS872

GS872

Senior User

• GSR Lifetime
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:Keeping the Grand Sport clean and driving it often! GS 872 now has about 111,000 smiles on the odometer.
    GSR LIFETIME MEMBER

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for sharing this Jim. You got every apex right on. Even that nasty double blind apex at the end of one of the uphill short straights. Those are a bugger to get right, but you did a masterful job!

I hoping to add some front brake ducts this spring using your instructions. I get a new set of spoilers for when I want to restore the stock look.

I got a DRM brake bias spring, but didn't want to screw up the master cylinder getting the big hex head cap off of the end. I read somewhere that someone posted a DIY tech tip for getting this job done without pain, but I haven't been able to find it.
Bill Renner
Germantown, MD
GSR Lifetime Member

#8 stgry1

stgry1

Grand Sport Guru!

• GSR Member 2008
  • 1,088 posts
  • Interests:GSR MEMBER 2008<br>

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:22 PM

Jim I have the bias spring and 30mm fronts 26mm rears. I did notice a diff on 'nose plunging' if you will. Worth the effort to replace?? In your driving situation yes, but in my opionion for normal street apps...not really > unless you were replacing the master or flushing the system. Of course this IS when I replaced the spring so no regrets. As far as the bars go, I thought I would experience a more harsh ride and a stiffer feel as well after install. To be honest, I really didn't notice much. Does it handle better in the corners?? Definately! Do I have a "solid ride" around town, no. And my wife will surely attest to that! :blink: Just my .02
Chris
Valrico, FL
96 BLACK LT4

Nodular Iron SMFW w/ CF DF clutch, Hurst STS, Hooker 1.75" shorties
w/ custom 2.5" extensions, Borla SS cat-back, Custom cold air w/ dual K&N
filters, Perf MSD Coil w/ 8.5mm wires, NGK Iridiums, Mild intake port w/ "777"s,
R&D Cross & Camber Brace, 30mmF & 26mmR solid S-bars, Hawk pads
w/ russel lines & cryo rotors. Bilstein Z51 shocks, Granatelli "RED" MAF
w/ smoothie intake couplers, Custom PCM tune
GS wheels w/ 315s & flares. LED rear lighting system.
Semper Fi/USMCR

#9 GS007

GS007

GSR Technical Editor

• GSR Lifetime
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

I got a DRM brake bias spring, but didn't want to screw up the master cylinder getting the big hex head cap off of the end. I read somewhere that someone posted a DIY tech tip for getting this job done without pain, but I haven't been able to find it.

I haven't written it yet :cheers: It's coming, including pictures.

If you want, e-mail me offline (JVMason1317@sbcglobal.net) and I'll send you my phone number. I can walk you thru the install since it'll likely be several more weeks before the tech tip is done.

Believe it or not, the big cap comes off and goes on really easy. The trick is installing the spring inside the proportioning valve.
Jim Mason
GSR Lifetime Member
'96 Grand Sport #007
A few mods

#10 GS007

GS007

GSR Technical Editor

• GSR Lifetime
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:10 PM

As far as the bars go, I thought I would experience a more harsh ride and a stiffer feel as well after install.

The bars help cornering. It's the much increased spring rate that'll add ride harshness. '89/'90 Z51 (and '91-'95 Z07 which includes Z51 springs) are waaaaaay more stiff than the base FE1 springs I have now.
Jim Mason
GSR Lifetime Member
'96 Grand Sport #007
A few mods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users